For school work

Sunday 22 January 2017

Strengths and Challenges in Communicating

Q: Describe your strengths in communication and the challenges you have when communicating with others. In view of this, state two objectives you will set for yourself to achieve by the end of this course.

A: Communication is a way of exchanging information via a medium which can be verbal or non-verbal. People communicate to understand one another. However, there are barriers that may affect our interpretation of the information received and result in a misunderstanding.

I feel that a strength I have in communication would be my ability to receive information. During interpersonal communication and in small groups, I am able to give my full attention to the person relaying their message. For example, I will maintain eye contact with the speaker. I would usually nod or hum to indicate that I am listening attentively to the speaker. Another strength I have would be my ability to relay non-verbal messages, such as texting and writing e-mails. I feel that I have the ability to write clear and precise sentences that allows the receiver to understand my message. When writing text messages, I would send multiple messages instead of a long paragraph to ensure that the message I am sending over is easier to read. 

Some challenges I face when communicating with others would be expressing my thoughts verbally. Sometimes, I speak too fast, stutter, and when I am tired, I slur my words. Many times people have misunderstood my messages because of my pronunciation. Sometimes I avoid speaking because I worry that I will be misunderstood again and embarrass myself. Another challenge I face would be my ability of giving feedback. I feel that I do not give good enough feedback to people when they ask for it.

What I would like to achieve by the end of this course, firstly, would be to improve my ability of giving feedback. I would like to be of help to others when they have approached me for my opinion. Secondly, I want to improve my speech. I want to speak clearer and have a better stage presence so that I will not be misunderstood often, and be confident enough to start conversations.


Note: Underlined sentences were recently added on 5/2/17

4 comments:

  1. Its true that communication is a way to understand one another. I agree with you on this part fitri. Lets work together to improve on your goals that you wanna achieve by the end of this course as a group. You can try giving me feedbacks regarding my point of view and ideas as a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading, I agree that it is important for us to know our respective strengths and challenges that we may face so that we are able to continuously improve ourselves to become a better communicator as the day passes by. This can then be useful for future usage such as when going for a job interview or having project discussions with future colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi fitri,I agree with that through communication,we are able understand each other better.Lets work hard together to achieve our goals of becoming better communicators and I look forward to hearing your feedback in our group discussions from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think for you to improve on your communication effectively is by understanding your self-concept. How you think and value yourself. In order to achieve your objective, take a step back and decide what you want. It is an important approach to decide what you want to change about yourself in communication effectively. Consider your circumstances and act positively toward others.

    Apart from that, navigate your communication through emotional intelligence. It is an awareness of your actions and feelings and how they affect those around you. It also means that you value others, listen to their wants and needs, and are able to empathize or identify with them on many different levels.

    ReplyDelete